Moving Up From Imagine That! to Young Child
Generally, a child should be at the minimum age when enrolling in a class, as Kindermusik curriculum is age-appropriate.
Below are some guidelines to help you in transitioning between one class level and the next. Please keep in mind that children will demonstrate many, but NOT all of these abilities before moving on to the next class level. Also, our teachers are experts in child development, and will be glad to help you with your decision.
Moving Up from Imagine That! to Young Child
Note: The two-year Young Child program was intended in design for kindergartners and first graders. Individual exceptions might be made for a child participating in a pre-K program who will turn five years old soon after school starts. A four’s preschooler would best be served, in most cases, by participating in Imagine That!
- Can jump forward many times in a row, hops, gallops, is learning to skip
- Developed fine motor control, demonstrates control of pencil or marker
- Eager to learn
- Able to understand concepts of practice, proper handling of an instrument, and playing a tune as opposed to exploring ways of creating sound on an instrument
- Counts to 20; recognizes numerals 1-10
- Has abstract thinking skills- can answer questions such as “how do you think a composer can make music sound like birds?”
- Has basic pre-reading skills; understands that writing moves from left to right, and repeats from the top of the page down
- Impulse control is emerging and developing
- Sense of right and wrong is growing
- Beginning to see things from another’s perspective
- Speech is nearly 100 percent intelligible (exceptions may include children with hearing and language delays)
- Uses grammar correctly (i.e. past and future tense)
- Enjoys friendships and group activities
- Shares, takes turns, plays cooperatively
- Follows directions, can participate in activity with groups doing different things simultaneously
- Sings a whole song
- Beginning to match pitches consistently
- Developing ability to match to group steady beat